Friday, July 11, 2014

Week Wrapup

Thanks PK Hrezo for her great post on how having a newsletter is an important part of promotion. And good luck to Cate Masters on her ongoing promotional tour for Goddess, Awakened.

A few words of wisdom from my Old Farmer's Almanac planner.

If there be no remedy, why worry? (Old Spanish Proverb) I tried to pass this on to my students shortly after 9/11. Three Mile Island, the nuclear plant, is actually in our school district. There was lots of extra security there for a while and a few false alarms when fighter jets took to the sky looking for threats. There is an airport not far from TMI and for weeks after 9/11 most of what we saw in the skies while we were outside for PE classes were military aircraft. Some flew very low. Now our school has a intricate evacuation plan if anything happened at TMI but truthfully, no way would the buses get out on the congested highways they'd have to travel. So when those low flying planes would go over and my students would get nervous, I told them not to worry. If the worse happened, we were all going to die and rather quickly. There was nothing we could do about it so why worry. For some reason it didn't comfort them the way it should have. Kids!

Tomorrow is also the full moon, known as the Buck Moon this month. And if your garden tools are rusty, the Almanac suggest you soak them for several hours in a bucket of cool, strong black tea.

Hope you enjoyed my Almanac wisdom and carry it forth into your weekend. Would you have been comforted if you were my students. Ever try that cure for rusty metal? Did you design a newsletter yet?

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know I'd rather go quick.
Tea for rust - who knew?

Maria Zannini said...

Re: For some reason it didn't comfort them the way it should have. Kids!

Oh, Susan. You're lucky someone didn't throw a chalkboard eraser at you. LOL.

mshatch said...

Tea for rust, huh? I may try that out - thanks :)

Luanne G. Smith said...

I can't imagine why those kids weren't comforted by that. LOL. But, yeah, that would have been scary to see the military jets flying over constantly.

And already the moon was keeping me awake last night. I need better curtains.

cleemckenzie said...

That strong black tea suggestion is interesting. Tannins clean garden tools? Who knew. Thanks for the tip.

Pat Hatt said...

Very true, why worry about it. If you go boom it will be over in an instant.

The Armchair Squid said...

Isn't there something about rusty nails in Coca-Cola?

Your story about your students is funny. When I was getting ready to go live in Japan in the mid-'90s, I talked to a friend, himself Japanese, about earthquakes. The Kobe quake had just happened so I worried about another Big One hitting while I was there. His advice: "Look at it this way. Either you'll die instantly and it won't matter or you'll live and have a great story to tell for the rest of your life."

David Powers King said...

I've never heard of a Buck Moon before. I wonder what my wife will think of that when I tell her ... :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Got your comment about no foods touching. I have two friends that are like that. And when they both eat, they have to eat one side at a time. Nothing ever touches, nothing ever mixes.

Happy Weekend!

Christine Rains said...

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I've never tried that cure for rusty metal. I'll have to keep it in mind. I think our shears is pretty rusty. I think I might have been comforted, but I wouldn't know for certain unless I was in that situation.